Space Sweepers is a 2021 South Korean space opera film directed by Jo Sung-hee, starring Song Joong-ki, Kim Tae-ri, Jin Seon-kyu and Yoo Hae-jin. Regarded as the first Korean space blockbuster, it was released on Netflix on February 5, 2021
Space Sweepers Movie Cast
- Song Joong-ki as Tae-ho – Former Commander of the Space Guards and the first ever UTS Genius.
- Kim Tae-ri as Captain Jang – Former Special Forces Squad officer who later deserted her post to create her own pirate organization. She attempted to assassinate CEO James Sullivan in which her entire pirate crew were killed.
- Jin Seon-kyu as Tiger Park – Former Drug King who escaped Earth after being arrested and sentenced to death.
- Yoo Hae-jin as Robot BubsRichard Armitage as James Sullivan – The CEO of UTS.
- Kim Mu-yeol as Kang Hyeon-u – Kang Kot-nim’s father and a scientist.
- Park Ye-rin as Dorothy / Kang Kot-nim – First believed to be a robot, she is actually a human who was injected with nanobots by her father as a last resort to heal her.
Space Sweepers Movie Plot
Set in the year 2092, Earth has become nearly uninhabitable. Fleeing the sick earth, UTS corporation builds a new orbiting Home for humanity. But only a chosen few can ascend.
The plot follows the crew of a space junk collector ship called The Victory. But their lives take a huge turn when they discover a humanoid child robot named Dorothy that’s known to be a weapon of mass destruction.
Burdened with debts and wishes to fulfill, they get involved in a risky business deal and maybe something more than they might have imagined.
Space Sweepers Movie Review
Space Sweepers is 2021’s new sci-fi action bringing you all joy and fun. For a South Korean Film, it has Great visual effects, now that’s new and it’s also has a good plot. It’s entertaining and wholesome. And the acting was great too. Also , we have Richard Armitage as the antagonist.
It is entertaining and a feel good type film, it is set in the year 2092 where earth has become uninhabitable and there’s this corporation UTS which has built a new orbiting home for humanity into space of course and only some people can get to live here.
There’s a crew of space junk collector ship called Victory which is also the other title of the film. After snatching a crashed space shuttle in the latest debris chase, Spaceship Victory’s crew members find a 7-year-old girl inside. They realize that she’s the humanlike robot wanted by UTS Space Guards and decide to demand ransom in exchange.
The crew protects her and looks after her and eventually they win a crazy battle against the people who want to use this girl Dorothy as a bomb to destroy earth completely and end all human life on earth.
Space Sweepers Movie Critical Reception
On the review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 50% based on 6 reviews, with an average rating of 6.5/10.
IGN has given it a solid 7/10 rating calling it a slight entertaining sci-fi flick.
The Movie Culture Synopsis
Space Sweepers is Netflix’s new sci-fi South Korean flick, it is quite entertaining and the special effects are well done.
English actor Richard Armitage also revealed through his Instagram account that he would start filming in July 2019, making Space Sweepers his first Korean film.
Space Sweepers is now streaming on Netflix.