Julie and the Phantoms is an American musical comedy-drama television series created by Dan Cross and David Hoge that was released via streaming on Netflix on September 10, 2020.
The series is based on the Brazilian television series Julie e os Fantasmas. The show focuses on Julie , a 15-year-old girl, and three ghosts: Luke the lead guitarist, Alex the drummer and Reggie the bass player.
Julie’s life changes completely: she forms a band with the ghosts and starts performing regularly in her city. The friendly ghosts help her deal with daily problems, particularly her passion for music.
Julie And The Phantoms Series Cast
- Madison Reyes as Julie Molina.
- Charlie Gillespie as Luke, a singer and the lead guitarist of the Phantoms.
- Owen Patrick Joyner as Alex, the Phantoms’ drummer.
- Jeremy Shada as Reggie, the bass player of the Phantoms.
- Jadah Marie as Flynn, Julie’s best friend.
- Sacha Carlson as Nick, Carrie’s boyfriend.
- Savannah May as Carrie, Julie’s nemesis and former friend.
Julie And The Phantoms Series Plot
Madison Reyes as Julie Molina, a high school musician who is struggling to make music after the death of her mother but accidentally summons the spirits of a deceased band from the 90s that were called Sunset Curve before being called the Phantoms.
She eventually forms a band with the ghosts and starts performing with them. The friendly ghosts show a lot of care towards Julie. Julie is the only one they can sing with for people to actually see them.
They fool the audience by saying that these ghosts are real humans which play with Julie with the help of high tech projectors.
Julie And The Phantoms Series Review
Julie and the Phantoms is a musical dramedy that is based on a Brazilian TV show Julie e os Fantasmas. It is about a teenager who struggles making music after her mothers death but then something shocking happens , Julie accidentally summons a ghost band from the past and eventually starts her own band with them.
Madison Reyes and her adorable acting and singing made the audience/viewers love this version of the show. This Netflix original is quite underrated buy it’s a must watch show and good to binge watch. Every episodes title represents the song that is going to be presented in it.
On July 21, 2020, upon series premiere date announcement, Madison Reyes, Charlie Gillespie, Jeremy Shada, Owen Patrick Joyner, Jadah Marie, Sacha Carlson, and Savannah May were cast in the starring roles while Booboo Stewart, Cheyenne Jackson, Carlos Ponce, and Sonny Bustamante were cast in recurring roles. Principal photography for the series began on September 17, 2019 and ended on December 14, 2019 in Burnaby, British Columbia.
Julie And The Phantoms Series Episodes
- “Wake Up” Kenny Ortega, Teleplay by : David Hoge & Dan Cross.
- “Bright” Kenny Ortega , David Hoge & Dan Cross.
- “Flying Solo” Paul Becker Sean W. Cunningham & Marc Dworkin.
- “I Got the Music” Kenny Ortega and Nora Sullivan.
- “The Other Side of Hollywood” Kenny Ortega, David Hoge & Dan Cross.
- “Finally Free” Kristin Hanggi, Sean W. Cunningham & Marc Dworkin.
- “Edge of Great” Kabir Akhtar , Nora Sullivan & Leilani Downer.
- “Unsaid Emily” Kabir Akhtar and Leah Keith.
- “Stand Tall” Kenny Ortega, David Hoge & Dan Cross.
Julie And The Phantoms Series Track Listing
- “Now or Never” Charlie Gillespie, Owen Patrick Joyner, Jeremy Shada 3:04.
- “Wake Up” Madison Reyes 3:37.
- “Bright” Reyes, Gillespie, Patrick Joyner, Shada 3:12.
- “This Band is Back (Reggie’s Jam)” Gillespie, Patrick Joyner, Shada 1:40.
- “Wow” Savannah Lee May 3:10.
- “Flying Solo” Reyes, Gillespie, Patrick Joyner, Shada 3:04.
- “I Got the Music” Reyes and Jadah Marie 3:47.
- “The Other Side of Hollywood” Cheyenne Jackson 3:20.
- “All Eyes On Me” May 3:42.
- “Finally Free” Reyes, Gillespie, Patrick Joyner, Shada 3:01.
- “Perfect Harmony” Reyes, Gillespie 3:24.
- “Edge of Great” Reyes, Gillespie, Patrick Joyner, Shada 3:01.
- “Unsaid Emily” Gillespie 3:50.
- “You Got Nothing to Lose” Jackson 3:04.
- “Stand Tall” Reyes, Gillespie, Patrick Joyner, Shada 3:33.
Julie And The Phantoms Series Critical Reception
Caroline Framke of Variety wrote, “Sure, their ghost adventures become very silly, very quickly. But who cares! Julie and the Phantoms is just fun and adorable enough for none of that to really matter.”
For the series, review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reported an approval rating of 92% based on 24 reviews, with an average rating of 8.08/10. The website’s critics consensus reads, “With catchy tunes and just the right amount of ghost jokes, Julie and the Phantoms is a fun, feel-good show that proves a perfect showcase for newcomer Madison Reyes.”
Metacritic gave the series a weighted average score of 77 out of 100 based on 7 reviews, indicating “generally favorable reviews”.
The Movie Culture Synopsis
On April 9, 2019, Kenny Ortega signed a multi-year overall deal with Netflix, including production of Julie and the Phantoms. Ortega executive produced the series alongside Dan Cross, David Hoge, George Salinas, and Jaime Aymerich. Cross and Hoge also serve as showrunners.
Production companies involved with the series were slated to consist of Crossover Entertainment and Mixer Entertainment. On August 26, 2020, an official trailer was released and the series was released on September 10, 2020.
Kenny Ortega usually makes musicals some of his films are mentioned here : Newsies (1992), Hocus Pocus (1993), the High School Musical trilogy (2006–2008), Michael Jackson’s This Is It (2009) and the Descendants trilogy (2015–2019). Ortega has choreographed films including St. Elmo’s Fire (1985), Pretty in Pink (1986), Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986) and Dirty Dancing (1987).
He has also directed multiple concert tours, including tours for Cher, Gloria Estefan, Hannah Montana, and Michael Jackson. In 2019, Ortega was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Julie and the Phantoms is a must watch Netflix original.